Thursday, September 8, 2011

Shades of White

We bought this awesome antique dining table off of Craigslist last week. After sanding it down and cleaning it up, I then had the confounding job of finding the right shade of white to show Bethany for her approval to repaint it.

I was temporally stymied by just how many shades of white are available to a prospective painter! We finally settled on "Woodrow Wilson Putty." I wondered what the 28th President of the United States would make of becoming a part of the off white color scheme?  

You might be wondering how I have such free time to restore old dining tables and re-clothe them in shades of early 20th century progressive presidents. The great thing about my weird brain and awesome job is that I can prepare complex Bible studies and Banquet speeches while sanding wood and tracking down presidential sounding paint. I have friends who find they need to sit in a dark study and stare pensively at a book-lined wall of heavy tomes to suck inspiration from. While I need that room for the final prep I'm relieved that I can do almost all the heavy lifting while doing something diverting. Thank God! So part of this week was filled with creating something wonderful from something that was worth only a $100 on Craigslist. Much like my job…. Taking the time to show the potential in what seems old and worthless to many students. Christianity is like our dining table. It was once a valuable and intricate part of family life, it was a focal point for community and for young people to discover their identity and become inter-dependant and individuate into the adult community. Now it is anachronistic, left behind in the wake of surging TV dinners, internet and personal game consoles, all creating isolated individual living. But some time sanding down the ugly veneer the previous owner subjected beauty to, adding some updating with a trendy presidential paint scheme, and what was obsolete is now Shabby Chic and can again be relevant! It will be placed in pride of place in our new 1920’s duplex 2nd story apartment. It too has been rehabbed and reborn.

I’m hoping Christianity is in the process of a much needed sanding and repainting so it can again become relevant and valued.

But it might take me longer to refurb my Faith than it will to refurb my dining room!


Another week in paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment