Saturday, September 24, 2011

We're not in Kansas any more

I spent a large portion of this week in Kansas City, Kansas. I was at the regional conference for the Gateway region of Young Life. 20+ fulltime staff representing three states. I'm the newbie and as such needed to be intentional to find my place in this new world. It's occasionally uncomfortable to be surprised by the strangeness of Oz, but with a clear yellow road to follow it loans a level of comfort to the strangeness.

I spent this morning unpacking a large number of boxes containing our books. They're now settling into their new home in my study. I love our books! They are like Toto, someone I can look to as a friendly face from what was familiar. We chose to sell or give away almost 100 of our friends when we moved. It was sad to say goodbye to friends who had been with us for years. So our friends who made the long dark journey across the Atlantic and then sat for months in boxes must be delighted to have finally arrived in their new home! It’s definitely not Kansas but at least we're meeting new and interesting people who are on the same quest of self discovery and redemption.


I finally finished the immigration process by receiving my Social Security Number and successfully being hired by Young Life. One more large stone to shift and the road is clear to proceed on the journey. I need to take and pass the MO driving test!

So that's been my week. Lots of starnge new things, people and facts coupled with big yelley roads, friendly books and the resources to keep walking the path before us.

Hope your week is unfolding as eventfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment