Thursday, October 20, 2011

Passing traffic

I'm now the proud owner of an American license.

I said in the previous blog that this would be my last step in the immigration process. But it isn't really the beginning of the end; and it is probably better to quote Churchill by saying "it is perhaps the end of the beginning." Or to have a driving metaphor, it was merely passing a really large truck on the highway in the rain on a bend with a lunatic tail-gating me, and the truck driver hogging a part of my lane. I'm relieved to have survived but it wasn't the end goal of my travels. g

I also bought a digital antenna (Aerial in British) and a TV stand all of which made the baseball game last night pretty nice. Believe it or not last night was our first TV watching experience in our own home ever! We have never had broadcast TV because we lived in Germany and to be honest German language TV was never appealing to us as a relaxing alternative. We are also not very domesticated so we dislike being told to be somewhere at 7pm on a Tuesday to watch the weekly installment. We'd rather buy the series on I-Tunes and watch it when we want to.

So how does this all tie into YLC STL? My job at present is primarily setting the ministry up. I'm alone most of the time unless I'm in a meeting. Life is very much like passing the large truck in the rain with the unhappy feeling of being tail-gated. If you slow down, or make a mistake you might very well become much more intimate with the lunatic following you than you wanted to be. The you add the very large truck driver in his very large truck taking up just a tad too much room and spraying copious amounts of rain water unto your windscreen. While this is merely an inconvenient moment in a long journey it can feel like eternity until you pass the truck and allow the speedster to pass you at 95mph. I'll be happy when YLC STL finally gets out of the rain belt, passed the truck and into some nice dry road conditions and friendly traffic. It will get there and this point in the journey will be quickly forgotten but right now that's where life is. I'm delighted to have passed the driving test and I'm delighted one more piece of furniture and another few electronic appliances are now in our apartment. 
But I'll be enthused with happiness when we have enough furniture to actually seat more than two people!

All in all I confess I have little to complain about, I'm living the dream. I'm 40 years old and I get paid to do one of the things I truly love to do and I get the satisfaction of knowing I can safely pass the big trucks life sends my way!

Hope the traffic in your life is manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment