Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Priority versus Vision



This morning I was talking with a friend about priorities in our life. Our discussion helped me see that vision is more important than the priority that I designate/give to a certain part of my life.

I have a vision for what Bethany's husband should look like: it has a multiplicity of adjectives that could describe its characteristics and I’ve studied them all in my pursuit of “being” Bethany’s husband. Bethany’s husband has certain attitudes, attributes, activities, archaic beliefs, anecdotal befuddlements and all-consuming need to use alliteration in almost any setting. My friend asked me how I was doing with realizing the vision. I responded with my stock answer: “I fake it until I make it!”



You see I have a vision for the kind of man I could be as a husband for Bethany. I also have a vision of the kind of man who should lead Young Life College St. Louis; the kind of friend, the kind of family member and finally the kind of Christian I’d prefer to meet in a dark alleyway. Sadly I’m obviously none of those things, so I decided to Fake it until I Make it. My philosophy is to act as if I am those things and eventually I will form habits that will make me an habitually good husband; worker, friend, family member and Christian. It’s like a metaphysical Ken doll. I dress him up in his roles and wear them, until they become instinctive.
Before you ask me what kind of husband, friend, etc I am, I’d suggest you ask the people who know me…..

My priorities are becoming more horizontal than vertical.



I’m still working on a vision of how a 40 year old Irishman could live in St. Louis. When I have the vision/image coalesced enough to begin a sculpture I’ll add him to my pantheon. Picture a garden full of plinths with different Roberts placed upon them all posing in different roles. 



Looking back it is clear this past few days have been spent in my imaginary garden working on refining and perfecting the many Roberts in my mind!



I do hope your life is as intensely interesting as you wish it to be…. an Irish blessing of dubious ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment