Saturday, August 6, 2011

The promised land for an Irishman

This afternoon the lady at Macy's cologne counter explained that she and her husband were Irish, when I asked where in Ireland it became clear she meant that at some point in history someone in her family's past came from Ireland. Unlike my many times removed country woman at Macy's I'm actually a real Irish legal alien in St. Louis. Unlike many immigrants I began life here with a new car; a safe place to live and a good job.



I spent 8 years; 4 months and 2 weeks living in Munich, Germany. I left that city certain that no matter how long I lived there I would always remain an alien. I've been in America for 18 days and I've been constantly welcomed home. Despite an accent that is thicker than molasses my many American friends have converted me into an American prodigal son who has finally returned to the farm and the fatted calf is on the BBQ!

 This is my first thoughts on being an immigrant in the promised land of America.

 Robert

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to America! Hope you enjoy your stay here. Love to you and Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY proud to be your first official "follower" (that sounds SO much more polite than "stalker"!). Any chance we can all return to Saranac for a week this August? Blessings to Team Millar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your many adventures in your new homeland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome 'home'! We are so glad you guys are here. I called your wifey today for no reason at all other than that I could because we're in the same time zone! Looking forward to seeing you guys sometime soon.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete